Brunch as we know is literally the fusion of breakfast and lunch, that is, breakfast and lunch. It is ideal for those who do not get up early, and like to socialize. As we want to see, it’s a late breakfast or an early lunch.
It is usually popular on weekends with friends or family to catch up on what has happened during the week, although it is already well-liked to have brunch any day. It is an example of globalization and an option that has already been adopted by many, bringing happiness to the table and hearts.
This is how one meal is worth two.
The heritage of brunch and its theories
It was the English
- Studies say that the British were the first to popularize this delicious gastronomic concept. Apparently since 1896 has been present among families powerful English families. Being not only a gastronomic ritual but also a Sunday party. So it was that this English tradition reached American lands.
Other studies analyze the possibility that started equally in England. But that was a breakfast after a morning of hunting. The men of the powerful families went hunting and when they returned with the prisoners, they delivered them to their servants so that they prepare a great breakfast.
It was the Americans
- There is also the theory that brunch was created in the United States. In the rural areas of New York and New Orleans. Where workers needed a meal between breakfast and lunch that would provide energy for their activities. Or, on the contrary, a meal before lunch, to recover after a night of partying. Also creating the opportunity to talk about the party the night before.
- Its also said that it was invented by New York women in the 30s to include alcoholic beverages at an early hour of the day, and that it was not frowned upon by society. This, too, was a way to cut housework. Since it was only cooked and cleaned once instead of two. It is believed that in the 30s it was the time when cookbooks became popular, and the writers of this culinary literature promoted brunch as a routine activity in the week. Mixing traditional recipes with beautiful dresses.
- Another theory, tells us that his appearance was in Harlem, New York in the 50s. In a Gospel church. They offered food for his assistants after the religious services. While it was an opportunity not only to attract more people to the community but also to share food and socialize with people in the community.
- In the 80’s they began to popularize buffets in hotels, offering abundant amounts of food for their VIP guests. Including dishes from different parts of the world to satisfy their international customers. Restaurants that offer only pancakes or breakfast 24 hours a day have also become popular in the United States.
In Spain, brunch as such is relatively new and is known as an American tradition. The first brunch took place at the Ritz hotel in Madrid, about 35 years ago. Today many events revolve around brunch.
It is a modern, casual and fun food. Usually it goes from 10 in the morning to 3 in the afternoon. We are all welcome at a nice brunch table. Most of all it includes a wide variety of options between sweet, savory and experimental flavors.
Nowadays it is still a social event for all kinds of occasions. Ideal for families, important business meetings, social events and even appointments. Of all these theories mentioned, the truth is that flavors from all over the world have already been involved in a single meal.
However it is a mixture between the traditional and the liberal. Satisfying and breaking stereotypes of every social, economic and religious class. The truth is that brunch is enjoyed by all.
As a result no matter the age or gender, the only thing that must be taken into account of all this, is that brunch has become part of us.